Saturday, August 24, 2013

Orientation @ UMD

Look at Analia from Argentina
Cruising with Dr G and the 2 Indian girls

Checking in at The Varsity
Another week has passed and we came to the University of Maryland (UMD) after a week of orientation in Washington. Of course we were brought straight to our dorms at the Varsity and all the guys get to share an apartment together. Well there were only 4 of us so I guess no surprises there. In the midst of adjustment, I must say I miss my family and friends back home. But strangely, a bond is starting to form between the 16 of us ragtag bunch of teachers from different corners of the world. Indeed they have become my friends, my home away from home. We spent much of the weekend shopping for daily necessities like pillows, water, linen, and cooking utensils at Target and Giant. I must say I am glad the guys are easy when it comes to food and groceries. As long as there is good coffee and a steady supply of beer, it seems we will do fine. The UMD staff have been more than helpful, always ferrying us to places and supplying all of our meals. They really feed us very well. I fear I will gain a few kilos when I am here - must run more.

We got most of our paper work done as well - opening a bank account, getting a UMD staff card, and even a social security card from the State Department. I think administratively we are all set.

We learnt a lot during our orientation here at UMD. The program was designed for us to ease into the American culture and learn to adapt and adjust. We learnt about how UMD functions (which is very similar to UW-Madison where I did my undergrad) and of course a little more about the school system here in the US - which I believe I will see more of and share more of later.

However, I think learning has a mind of its own. Especially when you let it. I felt that the conversations we had with each other were just as enriching if not more. I hope I will be able to digest all the different threads of thought and make it meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment